Archibald William Dewhurst and The Anchorage Home

  Extract from of an article by Tony Wright, quoted with his permission:

“By 1923, the Castle Street home was then described in directories as the Home for Ladies, with a Miss Ongler as Manageress.  However, in 1925 the trustees of the property handed the building over to Church Army and it was used for mothers and children sent through the Daily Graphic Fresh Air Fund.  The home had been generously given by Edgar Figgess, but Church Army realised it was too small for their purpose and added another storey.  (Attached photo. Looking at the front elevation, one notices the difference in window size and spacing between the ground and upper floors)  The annual report for 1925/26 stated ‘The result was a really delightful and original children’s home for rest and holidays.  The home took 25 children at a time’ and was variously called the Court Moor Home of Rest for Children or the Church Army Holiday Home for Children.  During 1931, Church Army decided a change was required and it became a home for aged men.  A few years later in the 1936 directory under ‘Charity Organisations’ we see the first reference to the name ‘Anchorage’, viz. Church Army: There is an Anchorage Home for aged men in the Reading Road and an annexe at 2 Rundle Cottages, Castle Street, where those in the eventide of life can find home comforts and rest. Supt., Captain C. S. Dutton, C. A.  The 1950 directory described it as ‘Church Army Anchorage Home for Elderly Menfolk in Reading Road South at the corner of Castle Street’.  No name was given for the Warden-in-Charge.  The home was closed in 1974 and later sold in 1980.”

It was demolished in 1981.

Archibald William Dewhurst

May’s Directories of Fleet and Crookham 1910, and 1923 – 1937 – no trace of this man.

No record in Fleet and Crookham Local History Group’s archive catalogue.

Phyl Ralton

Fleet and Crookham Local History Group

9 June 2012